“Mediation is the process of talking to two separate parties involved in a disagreement to try and help them find a solution”
Benefits of mediation
- reduces legal costs and avoid court battles
- reduces conflict and improves communication
- creates better family relationships
- creates self-decided practical solutions
- recognises emotional needs and address losses, hopes, risks, needs and fears
- redresses power imbalances between parties
- allows legal formality to confirm agreements made.
Mediation works if
- you can get over your fears and talk to your ex face to face in a safe space with a mediator present
- actively engage by talking and listening
- you want to keep control of your own decisions
- you are genuine in wanting to avoid going to court.
- you want to formalise any solutions you come to.
Rainbow mediation is not suitable if you are determined you want to go to court or it is deemed unsuitable. Your mediator will tell you this as soon as it becomes apparent and signpost you to appropriate support.